Gameday is upon, less than a week away. Do you have your game plan ready on what to serve? How some super easy, pulled pork nachos with chipotle cheese sauce? These nachos are everything thing a nacho should be: spicy, cheesy, colorful and MESSY!
Pulled pork nachos with chipotle cheese sauce come together in minutes and require very little cooking. Basically, you’re just making the cheese sauce and assembling everything. Anyone can do that right? Heck, my 9-year-old daughter could put these together with her eyes closed.
It starts with a big bag of your favorite tortilla chips. I’m partial to the restaurant style ones, but scoops would be perfect as they would hold all the goodness of these nachos in a perfect little bite. Find your favorite pulled pork, with or without sauce. I grabbed some pork out of the freezer that I had smoked back in December and tossed it with a little homemade bbq sauce. If you don’t have any, or can’t find a brand you like in the story, you can easily make your own in the crockpot with a pork roast or pork butt/shoulder, a bottle of your favorite beer, and a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce. Let that cook on low all day, shred it up and you’ve got perfect pulled pork.
Pickled red onions add color, a zip of flavor. A quick pickle is made with some water, red wine vinegar, a bit of sugar and a touch of salt. It’s brought to a boil then pour over sliced red onions. By the time you’re finished assembling your nachos, the red onions are perfectly pickled and ready to go.
The cheese sauce is made by making a simple roux of flour and butter. Milk is whisked in and brought to a boil to thicken up before spicy chipotle powder is stirred in along with plenty of sharp cheddar cheese. You can decide your heat level here. I used just a teaspoon of chipotle powder and it was perfect for my family. If you like more heat, add some more, tasting the sauce as you go. You can always add more heat.
A zippy and cooling lime crema is also quickly whisked together and assembly begins!
Grab a large platter or cookie sheet and empty the entire bag of tortilla chips onto it. Heat up the pulled pork and scatter it on top of your chips. Then drizzle the spicy cheese sauce all over the top, making sure no chip is left behind. Follow that up with the lime crema and pickled red onions. The rest is up to you! Diced avocado and chopped fresh cilantro topped these pulled pork nachos along with an extra squeeze of lime to create the perfect bite.
So good, my daughter ate three plates full!
Love this recipe? Have a question? Let me know in the comment section below. Want more great recipes like Pulled Pork Nachos with Chipotle Cheese Sauce in your inbox each week? Click here for free updates!
Get ready for the big game with pulled pork nachos. These babies are everything nachos should be: spicy, cheesy, colorful and MESSY! Made in minutes, they are the perfect snack for rooting against the Patriots!
For pickled red onions:
1 red onions, sliced
1/2 c water
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1 tbs white sugar
1 tsp salt
For the Cheese Sauce
1 tbs flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp ground chipotle powder
2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 (13/14oz) bag of tortilla chips
2 cups pulled pork
1 cup sour cream
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 avocado diced
1 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
Small tomato, diced
Quick Pickled Red Onions:
- Slice the red onion and place in a heat safe bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, red wine vinegar, salt and sugar to a full boil.
- Pour the hot liquid over the sliced onion and let sit until needed.
Chipotle Cheese Sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, whisk in the flour and cook for 60 seconds.
- Slowly add in the milk while whisking to prevent lumps.
- Bring to a boil and whisk in the chipotle powder.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream with the zest and juice of one lime to make the crema.
- Grab a large platter or cookie sheet and empty the entire bag of tortilla chips onto it.
- Heat up the pulled pork and scatter it on top of your chips.
- Drizzle the spicy cheese sauce all over the top, making sure no chip is left behind.
- Follow that up with the lime crema.
- Remove the pickled red onions from the pickling liquid and scatter amongst the chips.
- Top it off with diced avocado, diced tomato, and chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice if desired.