Chase away the winter blues with a big bowl of lentil taco soup. Easily made in the instant pot or a slow cooker so dinner will be ready when you are.
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, minced (leave the seeds in for more heat)
1 tbs veg/canola oil
1 (29oz) can tomato sauce (about 4 cups)
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes (about 2 cups)
1-quart chicken stock
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
8oz (about 1 1/2cups) French green lentils
1 tsp salt
1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
Top with diced avocado
In the Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker):
- Select the sautee function and heat the oil.
- Add the onions, garlic, and both peppers. Cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the fresh cilantro, close the lid and select the manual pressure butter.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, then use a quick release.
- Stir in the fresh cilantro, ladle into big bowls and top with some diced avocado.
In the Slow Cooker:
- In a saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the onions, garlic, and both peppers, cooking until soft. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add into the slow cooker insert along with the remaining ingredients except for the fresh cilantro.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 7-8 hours.
- When the lentils are soft, stir in the fresh cilantro and ladle into big bowls.
- Top with some diced avocado.