Lemony Kale and Turkey Meatball Soup is a little reminder of spring. Gluten-free turkey meatballs packed with herbs are added to a lemon-scented chicken broth along with a couple big handfuls of kale. Perfect for chasing away the winter blues.
For the Turkey Meatballs
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 c chopped fresh parsley
1/2 c chopped fresh dill
2 clove garlic, minced
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
zest of two lemons
1 tsp of salt
For the Soup
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbs chopped fresh dill
4 c baby kale
juice of two lemons
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a fork until blended. Add the ingredients for the meatballs and combine with a fork.
- Use a small cookie scoop to create small bite-sized meatballs and place on the cookie sheet. If using your hands to form the meatball, moisten them cold water first. The turkey meatball mixture doesn’t contain a tradition binder and the mixture will be sticky.
- Bake the meatballs for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink inside and lightly browned on the outside.
- Meanwhile, place your favorite soup pot over medium heat and add in the chicken stock along with the juice of two lemons and the red pepper flakes.
- Heat to a simmer.
- When the meatballs are done, transfer them to the soup.
- Stir in the kale and the dill.
- Once the kale has wilted slightly and heated through, about a minute, your soup is ready to serve.
- Ladle into big bowls and enjoy.