Soup weather isn’t going anywhere. After yet another taste of spring, winter has descended once again and reminded us to not put our soup pots away just yet. Lemony Kale and Turkey Meatball Soup is the perfect choice to fill your pot with. Just a few simple ingredients and you have a healthy filling meal on the table in no time at all.
Believe it or not, these turkey meatballs are gluten-free. There isn’t a stick of breadcrumbs to be found. Instead, these little gems are held together with eggs, lots of herbs and some parmesan cheese, before being baked in the oven. The whole super is healthy, low carb and still super filling which is a pre-requisite in my family.
Lemony Kale and Turkey Meatball Soup starts by making the meatballs. Ground turkey is combined with lots of dill, parsley, garlic, lemon zest and parmesan cheese. Two eggs are whipped up and then added to the ground turkey mixture as a binder, it helps keep the meatballs together as they bake.
The soup itself is basically just some good quality chicken stock. If you make your own that’s awesome! But a good quality, out of the box stock is just as good. Once the meatballs are done baking, they are added to the stock along with a bit of dill, a couple large handfuls of kale, a pinch of red pepper flakes and the juice of a lemon.
Lemony Kale and Tukey Meatball Soup tastes like springtime and is filling enough to get you through those long cold winter nights.
Love this recipe? Have a question? Let me know in the comment section below. Want more great recipes like Lemony Kale and Turkey Meatball Soup in your inbox each week? Click here for free updates!
Lemony Kale and Turkey Meatball Soup is a little reminder of spring. Gluten-free turkey meatballs packed with herbs are added to a lemon-scented chicken broth along with a couple big handfuls of kale. Perfect for chasing away the winter blues.
For the Turkey Meatballs
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 c chopped fresh parsley
1/2 c chopped fresh dill
2 clove garlic, minced
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
zest of two lemons
1 tsp of salt
For the Soup
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbs chopped fresh dill
4 c baby kale
juice of two lemons
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a fork until blended. Add the ingredients for the meatballs and combine with a fork.
- Use a small cookie scoop to create small bite-sized meatballs and place on the cookie sheet. If using your hands to form the meatball, moisten them cold water first. The turkey meatball mixture doesn’t contain a tradition binder and the mixture will be sticky.
- Bake the meatballs for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink inside and lightly browned on the outside.
- Meanwhile, place your favorite soup pot over medium heat and add in the chicken stock along with the juice of two lemons and the red pepper flakes.
- Heat to a simmer.
- When the meatballs are done, transfer them to the soup.
- Stir in the kale and the dill.
- Once the kale has wilted slightly and heated through, about a minute, your soup is ready to serve.
- Ladle into big bowls and enjoy.