Nutter Butter Cookies are an iconic classic that has been around since before I was born. They were introduced to the public back in 1969 and its classic design was created by William A. Turnier, the same guy who designed Oreo cookies. Most of us in the states are well aware of what a nutter butter cookie is, a delicious, peanut-shaped peanut butter cookie filled with a peanut butter cream. And really who doesn’t like peanut butter?
Homemade nutter butter cookies are super simple to make and the best part? These are gluten-free! Yep, no flour of any sort in these cookies. Nutter butter cookies were created by using my favorite peanut butter cookie from the King Arthur Cookie Companion – their 1-2-3-4 Peanut butter Cookies. Four little ingredients, peanut butter, eggs, sugar and baking soda are combined, then formed into the classic peanut shape before being baked in a 375F oven.
It’s not difficult to shape these nutter butter cookie. Place two teaspoon sized balls right next to each so that they are touching. Flatten slightly with your fingers, then continue to flatten as you create an indentation on the sides where the cookies meet. Gently smooth out the sides with your thumb to create a seamless shape. Then take a fork and create the classic hash marks you find on peanut butter cookies. While the cookies are baking and cooling, make the filling by combining peanut butter, powdered sugar and a touch of vanilla.
Once the cookies are completely cool, flip half of them over and gently spread with a generous amount of peanut butter filling. Take the remaining cookies, placing them on top of the cream-filled ones and gently press to seal. Ta-da! Homemade Nutter Butter cookies that are gluten-free and delicious! Now, where did I put that glass of milk?
I would love to know your thoughts. Leave a comment below or if you make Homemade Nutter Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free!) take a picture and post it on Instagram! Make sure to tag me @MosesFamilyTable
- 1c creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1c sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1c creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 c powered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 375F
- In a bowl, beat together the peanut butter, egg, sugar and baking soda until smooth
- Drop two, teaspoonfuls touching each other on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Press slightly so they join together and then pinch in the middle to create the iconic 'peanut' shape.
- Using a fork, press cross hatches into each rounded part of the cookie
- Bake for 10 minutes or until they appear set.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring them to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Beat together the peanut butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Spread on the bottom side of half the cookies
- Sandwich the filling by topping with the remaining cookies, pressing lightly.