It has been incredibly hot in the North East this week. The best way to cool down? With Mint Chip Ice cream of course! A creamy ice cream base is infused with two types of fresh mint from my garden, taking the mint flavor to a whole new level! Mint chip ice cream is a family favorite. This batch didn’t last long once it was made. I was lucky to get pictures before it all disappeared! In fact, I’ve already been asked by each separate family member if I could them more.
I received this awesome Cuisinart Ice Cream maker for my birthday and a lot of my kitchen time has been spent creating various ice cream flavors. I’ve made five different flavors to date, including this mixed berry one. Ice cream is super easy to make and contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to ‘temper’ eggs. It just adds in an unnecessary step.
Simply combine the egg yolks with the sugar before slowly whisking in the half and half and cream. Place your pot over medium-low heat and stir often with a spatula. Once your mixture starts to warm, stir more often to prevent scrambled eggs, just as you would do if you had tempered them and returned them to the pot.
Once your cream mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of your spoon, remove it from the heat, stir in the mint leaves and let steep for at least 30 minutes. Then strain through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on the mint leaves to extract all minty goodness.
Pop into the fridge to cool completely before following the manufacturer’s instructions on your brand of ice cream maker. For me, there is no pre-freezing my bowl. I just add in the custard base, hit the on a button, set the timer and hit start. Simple as that and why I love this ice cream maker so much! I never have to remember to put my bowl in the freezer the day before I planned on making ice cream.
Once your custard base is finished churning and has become the consistency of soft serve, stir in your chocolate chips. Transfer the mint chip ice cream into your favorite ice cream container and freeze until firm.
Love this recipe? Have a question? Let me know in the comment section below. Want more great recipes like Homemade Mint Chip Ice Cream in your inbox each week? Click here for free updates!
When it’s hot outside, cool down with this homemade mint chip ice cream made with two different types of fresh mint!
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh chocolate mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh spearmint leaves
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar before slowly whisking in the heavy cream and half and half.
- Place your pot over medium low heat and stir the cream mixture often until it warms
- Continue to stir frequently to prevent the eggs from scrambling until the custard coats the back of your spoon.
- Remove heat and stir in both types of mint leaves.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes, strain, pressing on the mint leaves to extract the flavors.
- Cool in fridge before following the manufacture’s instruction on your ice cream maker.
- Once the ice cream is the consistency of soft serve, stir in the mini chocolate chips and transfer to a freezer container.
- Place in freezer until firm.
Can’t find chocolate mint? Use half a cup of spearmint or peppermint.
Miss the green color? All a few drops of food safe coloring to your custard before churning.