Summer has refused to leave here in the North East, which means my grill is still getting a lot of use such as grilling fish for healthy grilled fish tacos.
A quick seasoning made from things like cumin, garlic powder and ground chipotle is first whisked together before being liberally sprinkled onto tilapia filets. Then the filets get a touch of oil before going onto a super hot grill. It only takes a few minutes per side to cook the fish completely.
What’s better than a crunchy, spicy, 60 second slaw to top grilled fish tacos? Not much in my opinion. There is something about fresh citrus juice and the slight bite of a jalapeno when it comes to fish tacos. All you really need to do is open a bag, thinly slice a jalapeno and squeeze in some lime juice. A touch of salt and your slaw is ready to go.
Top with all your favorite taco fixings! For me, it was a bit of Mexican Crema and the zing of pickled jalapeno. Some avocado would be a great creamy addition too!
As always I would love to know your thoughts. Leave a comment below or if you make Grilled Fish Tacos take a picture and post it to Instagram! Make sure to tag me @MosesFamilyTable
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp each cumin, garlic powder, ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle powder
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 lb tilapia fliets
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- Mexican Crema
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 16 oz bag Asian slaw mix
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Preheat the grill, gas or charcoal doesn't matter. You just want it nice and hot.
- Combine the seasonings and sprinkle the filets liberally.
- Drizzle each filet with vegetable or canola oil and place on the preheated grill.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, using care and a wide spatula to flip the filets.
- While the fish is cooking, warm the tortillas over the indirect heat of the grill.
- To make the slaw, cut the jalapeno in half and remove the seeds before thinly slicing.
- Combine the slaw mix, jalapeno, lime juice, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- To serve, gently flake the fish apart with a fork and divide among the tortillas.
- Top with the slaw and Mexican crema.