I love eggplant and mushrooms and I know that they both go really well with garlic, so I put the whole thing together and make this incredible eggplant and mushroom stir fry. I’m not a big fan of long elaborate meals in the summer time. Or meals that take use my oven. Or really any meal that requires a lot of fore-thought and planning. Summer time is all about being outside and having fun. The last thing I want to do is stand at the stove. We end up eating a LOT of stir fries and meals that are really simple with things I can grab right from the garden, just like this eggplant and mushroom stir fry.
This is one of the few recipes you’ll find on Moses Family Table that is only for two servings, but it is easily adjustable for your family size. Just grab another eggplant and some mushrooms, adjust the stock up a bit and you’re done.
Eggplant and mushroom stir fry starts with Japanese eggplants. They are long, thin and bright purple in color with a thick skin. These eggplants are spongy and are a great vehicle for many different applications, they absorb flavors quickly which is why they are so great in stir fries. Japanese eggplant also makes a great substitute for meat.
The eggplant is joined with pieces of shiitake mushrooms and quickly sautéed, taking on a deep golden color. Garlic is then quickly cooked before the rest of the sauce is added in and thickened with a corn starch slurry. The eggplant and mushrooms are returned to the wok to be coated in the delicious sauce. Serve your Eggplant and Mushroom stir fry over some white rice and you’re good to go!
As always I would love to know your thoughts. Leave a comment below or if you make Eggplant and Mushroom Stir Fry in Garlic Sauce take a picture and post it to Instagram! Make sure to tag me @MosesFamilyTable
- 2 Japanese Eggplants
- 6oz Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tbs peanut or safflower oil
- 1 tbs shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 5-6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbs oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tbs corn starch
- 2 tbs water
- Cooked rice for serving
- Slice the eggplant on a bias into rounds, slicing the larger pieces in half.
- Remove the steams of the shiitake mushrooms and cut into quarters.
- Add 1 tablespoon of peanut or safflower oil to a large wok over high heat.
- Once it's screaming hot, add in the eggplant and mushrooms, only stirring or tossing when needed. You want the eggplant and mushrooms to take on some color.
- Once the eggplant and mushrooms are cooked through, remove from the wok and set aside.
- Return the wok to medium heat and add in the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil.
- Once hot, add in the garlic and cook, stirring often for 60 seconds.
- Add in chicken stock, oyster sauce, shaoxing wine, sesame oil and white pepper and bring to a boil.
- Stir together the cornstarch and water and to the sauce once boiling.
- Return the eggplant and mushrooms to the sauce and toss to combine.
- Serve over white rice.