It’s Taco Tuesday!!!! My kids are shouting it from the kitchen table. It is their second favorite night of the week, topped only by pizza night. Ground beef tacos can become a bit monotonous, especially eating them week after week that’s where these crock-pot jalapeno lime chicken taco bowls come into play.
I love my crock-pot. Do you love your crock-pot? I LOVE my crock-pot. (This is the one I have!) It makes life so much easier on my family. I work two night a week outside of the home. Having meals ready to go in my crock pot makes meal times so much easier on my husband. All he has to do is put it on the table and dinner is ready.
This recipe is super simple too. Just a couple of ingredients combined with very little effort and you’ve got dinner in a snap. Start with about 2 lbs of chicken breast or roughly 4 of them. Leftovers (if there is any, this is taco night after all) are freezer friendly, but I usually send some into school the next day for my kids lunch. Just a couple of tortilla chips, a bit of cheese and they have mini taco bowls for lunch!
Place your chicken breast into the bottom of your slow cooker and season with salt and garlic powder. Then you just add in some minced jalapeno (leave the seeds for some extra heat), the juice of two limes and some chicken broth. Set your crock pot on high for 4 hours and when it’s done you have most delicious crock-pot jalapeno lime chicken just waiting to be shredded with two forks.
The taco ‘bowls’ are easy to make too. Just brush each side with a bit of oil and nestle them between the cups of an upside cupcake pan. Pop them into a hot oven in about 25 minutes later you have golden, crispy taco bowls without all the messy frying. Load them up with your shredded chicken and favorite taco toppings and viola! Super hero mom on Taco Tuesday!
As always I would love to know your thoughts. Leave a comment below or if you make Crock-Pot Jalapeno Lime Chicken Taco Bowls take a picture and post it to Instagram! Make sure to tag me @MosesFamilyTable
- 4 Chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 jalapenos, minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth (about 2 cups)
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 tbs oil
- Season the chicken breast with salt and garlic powder and place into your slow cooker.
- Add in the minced jalapeno, lime juice and chicken broth.
- Cook on high for 4 hours (6-7 on low) or until it falls apart when squeezed with tongs.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and return to the liquid, keep warm.
- To make the taco bowls, preheat the oven to 350.
- Lightly brush each side of the flour tortilla with oil and nestle it between the cups of an upside down cup cake pan.
- Prick the bottom of the tortilla with a fork to help prevent bubbles from forming.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then fill with shredded chicken and your favorite taco toppings.