Winter is coming! Oh wait, wrong writing, but winter really is coming, at least here in the North East. The weather has taken a turn and we are finally feeling the cooler weather of the season. That means hearty braises and comforting soups start to find their way on my family table. Creamy carrot soup with roasted vegetables is the first soup I’ve made this winter season. It is 100% vegan and even gluten-free, relying on coconut milk and the carrots themselves to give you a creamy, silky texture.
Meatless recipes aren’t something I create often, let alone ones that are completely vegan. Having a husband who is a die-hard carnivore can make it challenging, but even he was completely satisfied with this soup. With the addition of the roasted vegetables, creamy carrot soup because an incredible filling meal that is, dare I say it, healthy comfort food. It sounds like an oxymoron but it’s true!
Carrots are peeled and chopped before joining a bit of onion and garlic in your favorite large soup pot. They are cooked for a few minutes to help soften before being introduced to the heavenly roasted vegetable stock I made the other day. All the vegetables simmer along getting nice and tender while the rest are cleaned and then roasted in a hot oven.
I chose to use a sweet potato, some parsnips, a few brussels sprouts and a bit of broccoli, creating a colorful collage that sits atop a bright orange palate. Swapping out these vegetables for ones you enjoy more is absolutely acceptable. Perhaps you like turnips and romanesco, or maybe some chipolini onions added to the mix. The combinations are simply endless.
As the vegetables are roasting, the carrots become soft and tender. Transfering the soup to a blender, or using a stick blender, puree everything down to give this soup a thick silky smooth texture. The addition of a can of coconut milk makes creamy without adding tons of fat, calories, or animal products. It also really lets the carrot flavor shine through.
Creamy carrot soup is then topped with roasted vegetables so the whole family can enjoy.
I would love to know your thoughts. Leave a comment below or if you make Creamy Carrot Soup with Roasted Vegetables take a picture and post it to Instagram! Make sure to tag me @MosesFamilyTable
- 3lb carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 c roasted vegetable stock
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3-4 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 8 oz Brussels sprouts, halved
- 8 oz broccoli florets
- 2 tbs, plus 1 tsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- In a large, heavy bottom soup pot over medium heat, saute the chopped carrots, onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon of oil for about 5 minutes. The onions should be soft and translucent and the carrots should begin to soften.
- Add in the 6 cups of vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the carrots are very tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender to completely puree the carrot mixture. If you don't have one, carefully transfer the soup in batches to a regular blender and puree.
- Return the puree to your soup pot and bring to simmer.
- Add in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the soup is cooking, preheat the oven to 400F
- Toss the diced sweet potato, parsnips and halved Brussels sprout with 1 tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the veggies onto a rimmed baking sheet and into the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the broccoli florets into pieces that are slightly larger than the rest of the diced vegetables and toss with the remaining 1 tsp of oil, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Give the vegetables in the oven and stir, add in the broccoli and continue cooking for another 10 to 15 minutes or until all the vegetables have taken on a caramelized color and are cooked through.
- Divide the soup between bowls and topped with roasted vegetables.